HOSPITAL CONSULTATION STARTS
I really do urge residents to have their say now in the long-awaited public consultation on the Future of Acute Hospital Services in Worcestershire, due to start on Friday, 6 January 2017.
Under the plans being put to public consultation, all three main hospitals, the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch, Kidderminster Hospital and Treatment Centre and the Worcestershire Royal Hospital, will remain open but will work differently in future.
The main difference would be the separation of planned and emergency care and the centralisation of where children stay in hospital and where women have their babies in hospital. Under the plans most planned operations would take place at the Alexandra and Kidderminster Hospitals which would allow the Worcestershire Royal Hospital to concentrate on caring for the sickest patients and those who need emergency operations.
By separating planned and emergency care the NHS believes it can reduce waiting times and the number of cancelled operations.
The clinical model being put forward in Worcestershire proposes moving:
- Most planned orthopaedic surgery from Worcestershire Royal Hospital to the Alexandra Hospital
- Some planned gynaecology surgery from Worcestershire Royal to the Alex
- More planned surgery – eg breast surgery, from Worcestershire Royal to the Alexandra Hospital
- More ambulatory care (medical care provided on an outpatient basis including diagnosis, observation, consultation, treatment, intervention and rehabilitation) from Worcestershire Royal Hospital to the Alexandra Hospital
- More day case and short stay surgery to Kidderminster Hospital
- All hospital births from the Alexandra Hospital to the Worcestershire Royal
- Inpatient children's services from the Alexandra Hospital to the Worcestershire Royal. Out-patient and urgent services for children with minor and moderate illnesses will remain at the Alexandra Hospital
- Emergency surgery from the Alexandra Hospital to the Worcestershire Royal
This consultation is long overdue and I welcome the fact that it has started at last.
I shall be taking my own part in the consultation and I urge residents to do the same, while I welcome being copied in to constituents' comments also. You can do this at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The formal consultation starts today (Friday, 6 January 2017) and finishes at midnight on Thursday, 30 March 2017. All consultation material is available online at www.worcsfuturehospitals.co.uk.